Friday, May 1, 2009

What Do You Fear?

“What are you so afraid of?” Has anyone asked that of you lately? If not, let me ask then, just what is it that you’re afraid of. In our 21st Century culture, we’re reminded by everything from bumper stickers to T-shirt graphics that we are to “Fear Nothing!” Much of the intent of those who pursue extreme, or high-risk, sports (or pursuits) are intent on proving that they fear nothing. But I must persist to ask…What is your deepest fear?

Fears can drive people to absurd…even embarrassing action, such as this newspaper story form Florida: Upon returning to her car after shopping, an elderly woman found four males in the act of leaving with her car. Calling upon all that she had learned in “Personal Safety & Protection” training, she dropped her shopping bags, drew her handgun, and proceeded to scream at the top of her voice, Get out of the car! I have a gun, and I know how to use it! Get out of the car…NOW!!” The four men didn’t wait for a second invitation. They got out and ran as fast as they could, looking back only briefly to see that the old lady was still bearing down on the sights of the gun she was pointing at them.

Somewhat shaken, the lady had difficulty getting her key into the ignition. She tried several times to no avail. She couldn’t understand that any more than she could understand why there was a football, a Frisbee and two “six-packs” on the back seat.

Moments later, she found her car parked a few spaces further down the parking lot. Regaining her composure, she went to the police station to report her mistake. The desk sergeant couldn’t stop laughing as he pointed to the other end of the counter, where four rather pale & sweaty men were reporting a car-jacking by a mad elderly woman, described as white, less than 5-feet in height, glasses, curly white hair, and packing a large handgun. No charges were filed.

Amusing? Sure…but such experiences are fear-driven; many followed by more tragic and terrifying results. If you’ve experienced none of late, you need look no further than a daily newscast to hear of far more alarming events. What drives the fear…the rage…the neuroses & psychoses of this age? And, more importantly, how do those fears impact human relationships?

The wisdom of the Bible sheds a good deal of light on such questions. Look at 1 John 4:16-18:

“…God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the Day of Judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. NIV

Psychologist, Daniel Taylor, elaborates well on that scripture text in his following writing (from: the “Men’s Devotional Bible, 1 John 4:16-18, Zondervan Corp., copyright 1994)

“I am tempted to say that I am not genuinely afraid about anything. But that just isn’t true. My main fear now is “insignificance;” I am afraid, to put it simply, of living a life that doesn’t matter. I am afraid of leaving the world exactly as I found it; no different for my having been here. I am afraid, as the writer Henry Thoreau said, of coming to the end of life and finding that I have not lived.

A lot of people say something like that these days, but they think “having lived” means having a lot of adventures, or a lot of fun, or a lot of money. I don’t think that has much to do with it. Significant living comes from filling your life with things which truly last forever. That’s why the usual things people seek to guarantee importance in their lives…money, fame, power…don’t work very well. They all come to an end, often during the person’s own life, and certainly thereafter.

Then, what are things which last forever? Truth, justice, mercy, forgiveness, compassion and grace are a few. These are all forms of the greatest value of all…love. And, as you know, the source and perfect giver of love is God.

So…if I want my life to count, to be “significant,” then I will try to fill it as much as possible with these attitudes and actions…if you have made someone else’s life better, you have done something eternal. And, that means that a significant life will have lots of people in it, because people are the only part of this world which will last forever.

This world is filled with threats…some imagined…some real, to our safety …to our sense of being okay. The ultimate security, the only true safety, is to be in right relationship with God, who is the Alpha & Omega…the beginning and the end. He was there before the beginning. He has no end. He has seen & suffered all. He knows our fears…and He has set us free.
It is our fear, whether real or imagined, that separates us…from life’s experiences and, more importantly, from vital human interaction. And, it is our life’s experiences…the sum total of the “good” along with the “bad”…the acceptance/rejection of people (and people groups) that influences our choices for interaction; those with whom we will relate on a routine basis.

Exceptions are imposed upon one people group in our culture more than any other; those who are identified as “disabled” (or “handicapped”). Once identified (diagnosed or “labeled”), a person is put into a track in life that imposes varying levels of exclusion; with levels increasing commensurately with level of disability; tragically, even from the Church. That reality is well-expressed by a young lady name Robin, severely disabled by Cerebral Palsy, who (unable to speak) wrote the following…on behalf of the multitudes who are disabled:

I was hungry for fellowship; and you formed a humanities club and discussed my hunger.

I was imprisoned in my paralyzed body; and you crept off quietly to your chapel in the cellar, and prayed for my release.

I was naked and with Down’s syndrome; and in your mind, you debated the acceptability of my appearance.

I was sick with Cerebral Palsy; and you knelt, and thanked God for your health.

I was homeless in a State Institution; and you preached to me the spiritual shelter of God’s love.

I was cognitively disabled, and lonely; and you left me alone to pray for me.

You seem so holy...so close to God. But I’m still very hungry...and lonely... and imprisoned.......

As we at Power Ministries approach another season of “New Purpose Retreats,” I must confess that we approach with some degree of anxiety. Many have asked us if we’re feeling the negative impact of the current economic condition. Reports from missions all over the country are replete with fears and concerns for their very survival. That is especially true of missions to people with disabilities. We struggle in the same realm of obscurity as those whom we serve; those like Robin, who died in obscurity…with few realizing the brilliant mind imprisoned in a tragically disabled body. Those are the people for whom I am most concerned. And, there lies my deepest concern and fear; that too many people…those with disabilities and those who come to serve them…will not have the opportunity to come, and to share and grow in the New Purpose Retreats.

Being the risk-taker that I am, we raised our camper fees by just $5.00; fees already lower than any for this type of camping program. Thus, we appeal to those like you, many who have already partnered with us for support, to contribute to our “Campership Fund;” a fund providing the assurance that they will be able to come…to our partner camps from Northern Indiana to Central Florida.

Please do not overlook those who have become “God’s forgotten people.” Let them no longer be “lonely & imprisoned.” He knows their fears…and yours. And, through opening your heart to all those whom He loves, He sets you free, and He empowers you to set them free.

No comments:

Post a Comment