“They tell me I’m an idiot!” That’s what one of our campers shared at a New Purpose Retreat in Pennsylvania just a few months ago. He was, initially, frustrated by my response, “So?” But, you need to hear “the rest of the story;” a story about one of “God’s forgotten people.”
Eric is a young man in his 20’s, with Down’s Syndrome, who is mildly to moderately mentally handicapped. He has the characteristic almond-shaped eyes and “thick-tongued speech” of those with Down’s Syndrome; along with an out-going, vibrant, happy personality. He loves games, music, friends and his favorite…a “Game Boy;” the one that he wasn’t permitted to bring to the New Purpose Retreat.
Eric lives at home with his parents. If you ask him about his job, he’ll proudly tell you that he works at a hospital. It’s a part-time job of which Eric is rightfully proud. He is involved in church activities; which is quite apparent when he quotes scripture and talks about what the Bible and his church friends & family mean to him.
On the final evening of the Retreat, Eric was rehearsing for his presentation in the talent show…doing a scene from his favorite movie, “The Wizard of Oz.” Appearing reluctant to do it, two of the men who came to serve at the Retreat, along with myself, encouraged him; being quite impressed with his ability to remember the scene so well.
After the other guys left the area, Eric appeared rather sullen…perhaps sad about something. So, I asked him, “What’s on your mind, Eric? You were happy…even excited a few minutes ago.” He was reluctant to talk, so I insisted that we sit down for a few minutes. After additional encouragement, we had a very interesting discussion…as follows.
Eric began, “Okay, I talk, you listen. You guys tell me I’m smart. But, I know I’m not smart. People tell me I’m stupid…I’m retarded. I’m not smart.” I had to ask the obvious, “Who tells you those things, Eric?” Lots of people do…my friends…lots of people I know tell me that stuff. They tell me I’m a idiot…and that’s not nice.” Avoiding the obvious response, I just shrugged my shoulders and said, “So?” Looking at the floor through his previous expression, Eric looked up at me wide-eyed & incredulous, and asked, “What you mean, ‘so’? They talk mean to me! They tell me I’m stupid…I’m a idiot!” Pressing on, I simply repeated, “So?” Frustrated, Eric stood up pointing his finger at me saying, “You making me mad! They make me sad, calling me stupid idiot. I thought you was friend. But, now you make me mad. You just a mean old man.” As he tried to side-step me to leave, I explained, “Eric, would it surprise you to hear that lots of people tell me the same thing. People have called me a stupid idiot too. They’ve called me ‘retarded,’ and worse.” Stopping in his tracks, he looked up saying, “No way! You not stupid.” I persisted, “Well…there are people out there who would disagree with you…many who have called me those things…stupid, retarded, moron, idiot.” Still rather incredulous, Eric replied, “They just mean; you a smart man.” Seeing the two men who had been encouragers several minutes previous, I called them in on the discussion, asking, “Guys…during your life, has anyone referred to you as stupid…perhaps called you an idiot, or retarded.” Without hesitation both responded, “Yeah…sure. Why?” The three of us looking at Eric, he responded once again, “No way!” Still incredulous, Eric gave each of us a hug saying, “You my best friends.”
Later that evening during campfire devotional time, after Eric had done a stellar performance at the “Talent Show,” I decided to deviate from what I had planned to present. I paused for a moment and simply asked, “Campers…has anyone ever called you such things as ‘stupid’ or ‘retarded;’ perhaps referred to you as an ‘idiot?’” They responded nearly in unison, “Yeah…sure…lots of times.” Then, as something of a surprise, I asked the faculty members…especially the “Camper Buddies,” “Okay…all of you serving as volunteers at this Retreat…the same question…has anyone ever called you such things as ‘stupid’ or ‘retarded;’ perhaps referred to you as an ‘idiot?’” Once again, the reply came back, “Yeah…sure…lots of times…all my life.” Looking around the circle at the campers, all as incredulous as Eric had been…with that, “No way!” expression on their faces; I looked at Eric, who had a big smile on his face at that point. I just shrugged my shoulders and said, “Well…you’re in good company, Eric…and all of you campers. We’re not the brightest people on this planet. And, it just doesn’t matter what other people think of us; nor what they call us…because of one thing we can be certain, ‘God don’t make no junk.’ We don’t have to be identified as a ‘genius’ to love others as Jesus loves us; even those who tell us we’re idiots. Just give ‘em a smile; a genuine smile…one that expresses, ‘I love ‘ya anyway. They may call ‘ya some other name, but I’ll bet they walk away smiling too.”
After the close of the devotion & prayer time, the campers had the biggest smiles & expressions of surprise that I’d seen throughout that Retreat. And, I was surprised as well…since I hadn’t planned that “campfire devo time.” Sometimes you just have to get out of God’s way to follow His lead on such matters.
The Righteous Insanity Curtain Speech
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment